Friday, July 6, 2012

GIS Pics

Sometimes I attempt to use ArcMap 10 to do some mapping. Right now I am trying to make maps of my field area for use later this summer. I am also trying to make hydrological maps of the area as well.

Unfortunately, I am a GIS idiot and most of my attempts end in disaster. However, the silver lining to this is that some of them actually look pretty cool, especially when I change the colour scheme from black and white to other colours. Therefore, I have decided to share a few of the more interesting look outputs...this is mainly so I can feel better about wasting hours of my day waiting for commands to execute that produce what amounts to statistical gibberish in picture form.


This is what happens when you try and make a raster out of topographic data. Pretty, but from what I can tell totally meaningless.

This is a digital elevation model of the Yukon (90m resolution). This is not actually garbage and is useful to me for a bunch of reasons that I am still trying to figure out. 

This is what happens when you enter your DEM into a command and have no idea what it is going to produce. 

A zoomed in view of the above picture. The area in the the grey box is my field area this summer and Whitehorse is somewhere in the top left.
This looks like a scary tree. It is actually drainage into the Pacific Ocean from the northwest corner of BC.
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment